26.9.08

Now class, let's talk about bloggers - Part 1

Earlier this year, I'd asked whether Blogging could be considered to be a form of writing - an idea which Falsie and KM were quick to refute. Later on, it occurred to me that perhaps the more pertinent question should have been about what I so authoritatively described in the last couple of paras of that post. Namely, is there a difference between having a blog, and blogging?

My definition then was simple - the former being the mere creation of a blog to put up stuff that was already created, and the latter being the process of reactive and/or stream-of-consciousness writing.

But this definition seemed simplistic, because a blog can be more than just about posting your thoughts, memories, or opinions. It's a (web) log isn't it, and so even if it is just the writings of that person, it can be seen as a log of that person's thought process and the changes (if any) in their writing style.

So a blog (perhaps) is simply a personal page for a person to put up whatever they want, or like.

It was then that I realised that what I'd done was simply define the medium...not the users of the medium. And this perhaps was because of the phrasing of the question (hey, even super-intelligent pandimensional species get this wrong, ok?).

So perhaps, the question really was - is there a difference between someone who has a blog, and a blogger?

Now this, finally, was interesting. And although it may seem as semantics, it goes to the very heart of what (to me) blogging is, and understanding why those of us who do it, do so.

More of this in the next post (I'm splitting them because otherwise it would too lengthy - the next one up in a few hours).

4 comments:

Shammi said...

I do it for the fame, man. What other reason could there POSSIBLY be?

NightWatchmen said...

Err why does this remind me of Carrie Bradshaw ????


**Having a very evil smile and trying very hard not to laugh so that I still remain seated**

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you read Usha Vaidyanathan but here is a post she recently did.

http://agelessbonding.blogspot.com/2008/09/apropos-nothing.html

??! said...

Shyam:
Truly.

NW:
You mean Shyam's comment, right? Because if you got that from the post, then you've got some problems, my friend.

Shefaly:
I missed that, and it was really good.