29.5.07

"Be still, sad heart, and cease repining,
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall;
Some days must be dark and dreary."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (The Rainy Day)

.............
Way too often do we mock the simple in favour of the contrived, the exotic, the manipulative. But way too often do I turn to the simplicity of these words, ignore any accusations of their being trite, and accept the simple logic and wisdom in them. One of my few mottos.

5 comments:

Revealed said...

I think that's the saddest part of growing up, no? Finding out you're not special :).

But it grows on you (like one of those fungoidal goatees - which grow on some people, not necessarily me- in fact let's get that clear, i don't have a goatee, fungoidal or otherwise - oh sheesh I totally spoilt the profundity of this comment, didn't I? I *really* have to stop doing that).

??! said...

but no....the disjointedness is what's so fun.

your take is profound enough...but I just use to keep going on bad days, or help others along.

Revealed said...

What I use to tide me over are these wise watchwords, This Too Shall Pass.

Profundity explodes? :)

??! said...

Now I'm beginning to suspect I know you...used to wear that on a T-shirt.

Also, since we're being profound, how about - Life goes on.

Revealed said...

Life Goes On, child. Not Life goes on. This restrained use of capital letters worries me.